Legacy Funeral Directors: Man charged with 64 offences
CHARGES: Deputy Chief Constable Dave Marshall, centre, with Julie Butcher, left, from Victim Support, and Robin Weyell from the Crown Prosecution Service
By Simon Bristow, Co-Editor
A man has been charged with 64 offences in connection with the long-running police investigation into Legacy Independent Funeral Directors.
Robert Bush, 47, formerly of Kirk Ella, has been charged with offences including 30 counts of preventing a lawful and decent burial.
He has been released on conditional bail and is due to appear at Hull Magistrates’ Court on June 25.
A woman aged 55 arrested in July last year as part of the inquiry has been released with no further action.
The charges were announced by Humberside Police this afternoon at a press conference also attended by the Crown Prosecution Service’s Serious Economic, Organised Crime and International Directorate, and Victim Support.
Deputy Chief Constable Dave Marshall said: “On Wednesday, 6th of March 2024, we received information of concern for the care of the deceased at Legacy Independent Funeral Directors across three premises in Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire.
“Following the report, a complex, protracted and highly sensitive ten-month investigation commenced, with a file of evidence submitted to the CPS on Thursday, 16th January 2025 to comprehensively review.
“Today, I can confirm Robert Bush, formerly of Kirk Ella, East Yorkshire, has been charged with a combined total of 64 offences in connection to the investigation.
“These charges include 30 counts of preventing a lawful and decent burial and 30 counts of fraud by false representation in relation to the deceased recovered from the funeral premises, both between 20th April, 2023 and 6th March, 20204.
“Two counts of theft from charities between 1st September, 2022 and 6th March, 2024.
“One count of fraudulent trading in relation to funeral plans between 23rd May, 2012 and 6th March, 2024 encompassing 172 victims.
”One count of fraud in relation to human ashes between 1st August, 2017 and 6th March, 2024, involving 50 victims.
“He has been bailed with conditions to appear at Hull Magistrates’ Court charged with the offences on Wednesday, 25th June, 2025.”
He added: “We have updated the families of the 35 deceased with this development and we have made initial contact with additional victims who have been affected by the investigation and we will be personally in touch with them in the coming days.
“As the investigation now moves into the courts and judicial process, I would please ask people to refrain from any speculation or commenting that could prejudice or jeopardise the case, and to allow those affected to get the answers they desperately need and rightly deserve.
“My sincerest thanks go out to those affected for their patience and understanding. They have always been the priority and at the very heart of the entire investigation and this will remain, and we would please ask their privacy is continued to be respected.”
INVESTIGATION: Legacy Independent Funeral Directors
The charging announcement is a major development in one of the biggest and most complex investigations ever undertaken by the force.
Mr Marshall told reporters the case featured a total of 254 alleged victims, and the investigation had involved “hundreds” of officers and staff from Humberside Police and other forces.
Robin Weyell, Deputy Chief Crown prosecutor for the CPS directorate, said: “This directorate is made up of specialist prosecutors who have the expertise and experience to deal with our more complex and challenging cases, like this one – where we were able to comprehensively review a large file of evidence and make a timely charging decision.
“Today, the Crown Prosecution Service has authorised Humberside Police to charge Robert Bush, 47, formerly of Kirk Ella, East Yorkshire, with 64 offences including fraud, fraudulent trading, theft, and preventing a lawful and decent burial, following an investigation into Legacy Independent Funeral Directors’ in Hull.
“Our thoughts and sympathies remain with the families who have been affected during this difficult time.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and defendants have the right to a fair trial. Therefore, it is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”
Julie Butcher, area manager at Victim Support said: “We would like to reassure anyone impacted by this incident in any way that you are not alone. Our dedicated team is made up of caseworkers who understand the local area and are based throughout the community, tailoring free and confidential support to people’s individual needs.
“As an independent charity, people can access our services whether or not they have been in contact with the police. Whilst we can offer longer term support, some people find that one or two calls can answer some questions or alleviate some of the stress and concern. We encourage anyone impacted to reach out to us by visiting our website or calling us on 0808 281 1136.”
The charges are:
Fraud by false representation x 30 – contrary to Section 1 of the Fraud Act 2006
Preventing a lawful and decent burial x 30
Fraudulent Trading – contrary to section 993[1] of the Companies Act 2006 – (funeral plans)
Theft x 2
Fraud – contrary to Section 1 of the Fraud Act 2006 – (human ashes).